Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sewing Inspiration

I would like to share the story of my favorite new addition to my craft room, a vintage Singer sewing machine, from my great-grandmother.

You'll have to understand that I come from a family that are expert sewers. Here's a photo of one of my recent trips home, complete with three sewing machines: mine, my mom's, and my sister's.
We succeeded on that trip creating three fabulous aprons (completed with adult supervision) that I am so proud to hang in my home, and I use as inspiration to think about my next project.
You'll no doubt assume that the bar has been set high for a novice sewer like myself based on my mother's superior sewing skills. After getting the sewing machine, I've been scouring the internet for the best first project. I finally found a good one, on a sewing blog, an iPhone Cozy that will keep my phone safe on walks with Tank. I think I like forming the idea in my head best, so I had a great time picking out fabric at Ikea on a recent trip to California. Two of the fabrics I chose (blue one & black one with small pattern)...

Now all I need is the time (and patience) to complete it! The fallback is that my mom promised we could make one at Christmastime, so I will consider my first attempt a practice round and will be fully ready to perfect the pattern later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment